In May 2009 a team of Teach First staff began a consultation with all employees and a representative sample of trustees, participants, ambassadors and external experts to get input into what the Teach First values should be and how they should be defined. After careful consideration and much consultation, the current Teach First values were unveiled and put into use on a daily basis.
Identifying a set of values that are meaningful and understood by all members gives the organisation and its people a shared and common bond and makes everybody work in a more effective way to address educational disadvantage. Whilst Teach First's mission tells people what the charity is all about, its values explain how to work in order to achieve them.
We make a greater impact through working with others
- initiates collaboration - proactively creates appropriate opportunities to work with others to share best practice, solve problems and innovate
- builds strong relationships - adapts to work well with others, invests time and effort to foster trust and influences successful outcomes
- works inclusively - consults to gain appropriate input, considers different perspectives and builds consensus. Communicates often to keep people informed
We do all we can to achieve our mission
- delivers results - focuses on achieving goals and delivering impact
- goes the extra mile - understands the workload of others and responds willingly and flexibly to requests for help wherever possible
- shows resilience - approaches challenges with a positive but realistic, can-do attitude and shows tenacity to overcome them
We strive to be the best we can
- sets ambitious goals - pursues excellence through setting stretching, aspirational goals that achieve high quality output
- champions continuous improvement - embraces change as a positive opportunity to learn and improve, regularly evaluates and challenges the norms to find better ways of doing things
- works smart - prioritises activities, plans and manages time well to be effective and efficient
We act responsibly at all times
- speaks honestly - focuses on facts, voices opinions constructively and regularly gives honest, candid feedback to others
- values others - treats others fairly, with empathy and respect, recognises their contributions and expresses gratitude readily
- acts responsibly - represents our organisation professionally, takes full ownership of commitments, acknowledges where mistakes are made, and uses financial and physical resources conscientiously
We lead by example in everything we say and do
- demonstrates a sense of possibility - supports innovation, takes the initiative to generate new, creative ideas and shows openness to the suggestions of others
- develops and inspires - role models self-evaluation and humility, inspires people to be the best they can and nurtures new skills and knowledge in themselves and others
- makes robust decisions - simplifies complexity, assesses risk, uses disciplined thought to make compelling, logical decisions & acts out decisions with conviction
Getting involved in the Leadership Development Programme
Our programme provides a unique opportunity for organisations across all sectors to support the success of our graduates.
Partnership and Deferred Entry
Organisations large and small are able to play a key part in this success story, whilst also meeting their business objectives.
Find out about supporting Teach First >>