Career Changer Taster Online
Explore changing career to teach science, maths, computing or design technology. Build skills and learn why your next role should be in the classroom.
- Get ahead in selection for our Training Programme
- Build your confidence in teaching
- Learn how to support young people from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Chat to ambassadors about their time on the Training Programme
- Experience the training and support offered by Teach First
Get a taste of a career that has meaning every day.
Build your confidence in teaching
Switching to a whole new career always feels daunting – even more so when the job you’re moving to is as important as teaching. Taster is your opportunity to try delivering a lesson in a supported environment. You’ll be guided through the day by teaching experts from Teach First - and you’ll see how your existing experience can translate into the classroom.
Find out about being in the classroom from Teach First ambassadors
You can talk to Teach First ambassadors (people who've completed our programmes) about their experience on the Training Programme and in the classroom. They’ll also be able to talk about the incredible impact they’re having working with pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Get ahead in selection for our Training Programme
Not only will you gain skills that’ll mark you out during selection for our Training Programme, but you'll also be on a fast track towards it.
Who are Tasters for?
Our Career Changer Tasters are for professionals considering a change in direction for their career. You must have graduated two or more years ago and be eligible to teach one of the following subjects on our Training Programme:
- Design Technology
Who we’re looking for
Our aim is to find people with the potential to be brilliant teachers. Your application should show us your passion for being in the classroom and your interest in joining our Training Programme.
When we assess your application we’ll be looking for these key teaching competencies:
- Humility, respect and empathy
- Interacting with others
- Understanding and motivation
- Planning and organising
- Problem solving
- Self reflection
When are Tasters held?
The next Taster will take place during Saturday 27 February 2021.
What happens before Taster?
Before your day with us, we’ll send you some pre-work to do in your own time. This should only take about three hours. You’ll have some interactive work to prepare for teaching your mini-lesson, as well as videos, podcasts and quizzes to get you ready for the experience.
The course itself
It’s a busy day online but you’ll get so much out of it:
- You’ll practice key skills for the classroom such as your teacher voice and classroom management.
- Support from a Teach First facilitator to plan a short teaching episode.
- A chance to teach in front of a small group and get individual feedback from them and from a Teach First facilitator who has QTS.
- A talk with our ambassadors who changed career to join the Training Programme.
How do I apply?
Sign up for the next Career Changer Taster below:
Have more questions?
For further help with your application, click below:
Our country needs teachers, now more than ever. Join our most important cohort for a generation. Places for our 2021 Training Programme now open.