Additional support for new headteachers
This section provides information on our additional support offer for new headteachers on our NPQH programme.
Browse below to find the information you need.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Additional Support Offer?
It is a targeted package of additional support tailored to the needs of headteachers new to the role of headship. It provides structured, unassessed face-to-face support based on the best available evidence about what makes an effective headteacher. You can complete it alongside your NPQH or as a standalone.
The support lasts for 12 months, and you will receive 5 coaching calls across that time.
- Who is the Additional Support Offer for?
The Additional Support Offer is for headteachers new to the role of headship. You are eligible for this support package if you:
- work in a state-funded school
- are in your first two years of headship
- have previously done an NPQH / are applying for an NPQH / are currently doing an NPQH with us or another provider.
- What will I get out of the Additional Support Offer?
This is a free, unassessed programme that gives you the tools to become a more effective headteacher. You will benefit from:
- One-to-one coaching focused on your school’s particular circumstances. You’ll be supported to identify key goals, and step back to consider what improvements you want to implement in you school.
- Ongoing support from an experienced school leader to help you reflect on the impact your NPQH learning can have on your leadership practice.
- Practical guidance to help you face the known challenges new headteachers experience.
- Peer networking ensuring you are well connected beyond your own school community.
- I’m currently doing an existing NPQH with Teach First / a different provider. Can I apply for the Additional Support Offer?
Yes, you can. The additional support for new headteachers is a targeted package of support aimed at new headteachers, and based on the content of the new NPQH, which has been reformed to ensure it is underpinned by the latest and best evidence.
The support offer is available to those in their first two years of headship, who have either completed the new NPQH before becoming a head or are currently taking the new NPQH. Those teachers who have in the past or are currently taking the existing NPQH are also eligible for this support regardless of when they finished the programme, providing they are within their first two years of headship.
- How old can your NPQH be to access the Additional Support Offer?
The support offer is available to those in their first two years of headship, who have EITHER completed the new/reformed NPQ before becoming a head OR are currently taking the existing NPQH. The additional support offer will be a targeted package of support aimed at new headteachers, and based on the content of the new NPQH, which has been reformed to ensure it is underpinned by the latest and best evidence. Those teachers who are currently taking the existing NPQH will also be eligible for the additional support offer (if they are in their first two years of headship).
Participants wishing to access the NPQH additional support offer are eligible if they’ve done the previous NPQH, providing they are within their first two years of headship.
- How can I apply?
Please email TFSLP@teachfirst.org.uk with the subject line 'NPQH ASO application' to receive more information and application instructions from our recruitment team.