When your leadership team thrives, your pupils thrive. Build a stronger school leadership team with our fully-funded programme.
- Develop your entire senior leadership team and build more capacity
- Dedicated support for your school, tailored to your needs
- Fully-funded for schools
- Accelerate your school’s improvement strategy and create lasting, sustainable change
- Learn and implement evidence-based best practice
Create a school environment where pupils can thrive for years to come.
Your school’s challenges are bigger than ever. But handling these challenges shouldn’t be down to a headteacher alone.
Leading Together is a fully-funded, two-year programme that builds and sustains strong leadership across your entire senior leadership team.
With bespoke support and expert coaching and training we can help accelerate your school's improvement journey.
Develop strong leadership across your entire senior team
Leading Together is unique in that we work with your entire senior leadership team, collectively growing their ability to deliver sustainable improvements across your whole school.
Dedicated support for your school, tailored to your needs
Now more than ever, it’s vital to have strong school leadership.
Over two years, your senior leadership team will work closely alongside one of our Achievement Partners – experienced coaches and former school leaders that we match with your school.
They’ll support, guide and coach your senior leadership team to understand the specific challenges your school faces and create a robust plan that tackles them in the long-term.
Accelerate school improvement and create sustainable change
The programme equips your leadership team with the capacity and expertise to make changes that last across your entire school.
Our programme’s mix of learning and support provides your team with the knowledge and skills to identify and implement sustainable improvements – and make positive changes for your pupils.
Learn and implement evidence-based best practice
The programme’s learning modules are built around the latest research and best practice to make a real, long-term impact. Delivered face-to-face and online, they’re focused on key aspects of school leadership such as curriculum, assessment, developing others, strategic planning and implementing change.
From our recent survey of school leaders who started the programme in 2020:
- 97% rated the quality of the Leading Together programme as ‘excellent’, ‘very good’ or ‘good’
- 87% agreed that the programme has improved their use of evidence-informed strategies for school improvement
- 85% agreed that Leading Together supported the development of leadership skills among their senior leadership team.
Introducing Leading Together
97% of school leaders
rated the quality of the Leading Together programme as ‘excellent’, ‘very good’ or ‘good’.
Our motivation for joining Leading Together was routed in the school we are, the journey we’re on and getting the right support with that journey.
That’s a fact. But leaders in schools that teach the most disadvantaged pupils don’t always get the support and development they need. We’ve researched the issue extensively and found that strong school leadership really makes a difference:
- Schools are ten times more likely to improve at their next Ofsted inspection with effective leadership.
- Improving the whole leadership team has up to four times greater impact on pupil outcomes than focusing on individual ‘super heads’.
- Nearly nine out of ten teachers and leaders say leadership training should involve the whole team.
- Nine out of ten teachers say they’re more likely to stay at their school if they’re supported into leadership roles.
Our research also shows there are plenty of teachers and leaders eager to step up if given the opportunity. That’s where Leading Together comes in – it creates opportunities for teachers and leaders across entire schools, as well as for the young people who’ll benefit from their greater expertise.
Leading Together drives change
From the feedback we’ve received from previous programme members, we know that Leading Together has made a real difference to schools. From our survey of school leaders who started in the programme in 2020:
- 85% agreed that we supported the development of leadership skills among their senior leadership team
- 81% agreed that the programme increased the ability of the school’s leadership team to function effectively to improve their school.
Programme members particularly valued the dedicated support from their Achievement Partner, which includes one-to-one and team coaching. As one school leader said:
Being able to talk to people in your position who know what you’re going through as a school, who understand the stresses and the continuous cycle of inspection and external visitors, and getting their perspective on learning to adapt to all of that – it was amazing.
Paul Creed, Assistant Headteacher, Gateacre School, 2021
Leading Together has made us communicate better as a school. I think if we hadn’t done Leading Together, we might not have realised how important communication and strategy is. And how important it is to bring everyone with you on that journey.
say Leading Together improved their team's leadership skills
Built around your school’s needs
Leading Together is delivered in four phases over two years, with close support throughout from your Achievement Partner- an experienced school leadership expert who’ll we’ll match with you to address your school’s specific goals.
- Diagnose – analyse your school’s priorities and strengths to identify the strategic improvements you want to focus on.
- Build – devise, test and implement new ways to achieve these goals. Individual senior leaders will build knowledge in key areas through a series of learning modules.
- Embed and drive – further learning modules and coaching will help school leaders consolidate and secure improvements made to provide day-to-day benefits for all teachers and pupils.
- Sustain – leaders reflect on what’s worked and how to weave a permanent culture of ongoing development throughout your school.
A mix of training and support
Your school is matched with an Achievement Partner – an experienced school leader, trained coach and facilitator. Your Achievement Partner will guide and support you throughout the two years by tailoring the programme to your school’s context and needs.
Your Achievement Partner delivers the programme for your team in several ways:
With team and individual coaching – The Achievement Partner coaches and works with your senior leadership team for the full two years, based on your school's needs. They won’t tell you what to do but they will support and challenge you, helping your senior leaders create plans and pinpoint expertise that your school really needs.
Along the way they will work alongside your senior leadership team to:
- understand your school's needs
- support robust planning
- implement strategies that will have a lasting impact across the whole school
Through learning modules – focusing on key aspects of school leadership, modules can be spread across the senior leadership team to fit in with their responsibilities. Each module helps programme members to build knowledge of good leadership and apply that knowledge to your school’s specific circumstances.
The learning modules are delivered by your Achievement Partner and other Teach First experts through a combination of face-to-face (where permitted) and online activity, creating opportunities for learning that is both collaborative and self-paced.
With bespoke support – bring in additional expertise to address your school’s priorities.
Your Achievement Partners will also work with the senior leadership team to identify any additional expertise that can help the school progress, and your school will be connected to the Teach First community - a goldmine of support and resources. For example, our corporate supporters can provide pro-bono business advisers and coaches. Plus, our NPQ programmes are open to all teachers and leaders in your school.
Through networking and collaboration – create lasting support networks with schools in your local community and beyond. This includes collaborating with other schools on the programme that have been on a similar journey.
We also hold networking opportunities that bring your senior leaders together with educational experts, leaders from other schools across the UK and the wider Teach First community – all well-positioned to help your school improve.
Thriving leadership teams build thriving schools. Take the next step with a free senior leadership course:
Want to join the Leading Together programme?
This programme came along at the right time. That was when we really needed to start to build our leadership team from the ground up. We had to really take control and lead from the front.
What’s the cost?
There isn’t one. Our programme is fully-funded by our generous supporters.
What I’d say to a primary school thinking of joining the programme - it's a good opportunity for your leadership team to have some dedicated time together and take a step back from school and the day-to-day goings-on and actually look at your priorities.
To take part, you need to be working at a school that is either a Teach First partner or eligible to be one. That means your school must be in England and teach a high number of pupils from low-income backgrounds.
We prioritise places for schools in Ofsted Category 3 or 4, or at risk of moving to these categories at their next inspection.
We calculate which schools are eligible using the Income Deprivation Affecting Children Index (IDACI) and Achieving Excellence Areas (AEA), a measure which identifies parts of the country where children persistently underperform.
Based on these scoring systems, eligible schools must fall under one of these categories:
- An IDACI of 40 or greater (this means 40% of pupils are living in low-income homes).
- An IDACI of 35 to 40 and an AEA score of 4 to 6.
- An IDACI of 30 to 35 and an AEA of 5 or 6.
- An IDACI of 25 to 30 and an AEA score of 6.
How to apply
To apply for the Leading Together programme starting in April 2022, please register your interest below. Information about the areas we’ll be working in will be available soon.
Please note that spaces are limited and may be filled quickly if we receive a high level of interest from eligible schools. Therefore, we encourage you to express your interest now so you are informed as soon as applications open.
To express your interest, fill in our online form:
We’ll be in touch to talk about next steps.
For any schools considering Leading Together, I'd say absolutely do it. It's united our leadership team and consequently our entire learning community.
National Professional Qualifications (NPQs)
Leadership matters. Make a real impact in your school with our NPQ programmes.
Apply now for a November 2021 start.