This section provides information on the application process for our NPQ programmes.
Browse below to find the information you need. We'll update this page throughout the year.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When do applications close for Autumn 2021?
Applications for the programmes starting in November will close at the end of September 2021. Applications are screened on a first-come, first-served basis, so we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
If you are in an area with one of our Delivery Partners (teaching school hubs and multi-academy trusts working with us to deliver the NPQs), there may be a different deadline. Please check with the relevant Delivery Partner.
- What do I need before I can start an application?
Before applying, check whether your school is part of one of our Delivery Partners (a selection of teaching school hubs and multi-academy trusts working with us to deliver our NPQs). If it is, you should apply to do your NPQ with the relevant Delivery Partner.
If you are applying to do your NPQ directly with Teach First, you will need to check if your school is a Teach First eligible school. Eligibility information can be found in the ‘Eligibility’ tab on our NPQs overview webpage.
Before applying, get your headteacher or CPD lead’s agreement to:
- fund the cost of the programme if your school is not eligible for DfE funding
- arrange cover for live training sessions (where possible these will be arranged out of school hours)
- cover any travel expenses for any in-person training sessions (depending on government advice).
And don’t forget to read our application guidance.
- How do I apply for the programmes starting February 2022?
Applications are not yet open for February 2022 but you can register your interest in our future cohort via our expression of interest form. We will be in touch in the Autumn term 2021 when applications open for February 2022.
- What information do I need to hand when completing the application form?
NPQ applicants should have the following information to hand when applying:
- Your TRN (Teacher Reference Number)
- Your School URN (Unique Reference Number)
If you need a reminder of your Teacher Reference Number, please follow the process here.
- What should I prepare/consider before starting the application form?
Take a look at our application guidance before starting your application.
You should also review the GOV.UK NPQ scholarship funding eligibility and/or either confirm with your school that they support your application and relevant costs or that you are willing to self-fund.
- How long will I wait to hear back about the outcome of my application?
You will hear about the outcome within 15 working days of submitting your application.
On occasion, our selection team may ask for further information. If that happens, the 15 working days will reset from your new submission date.
- I have applied previously and failed the application screening – can I apply again?
As we only accept one application per academic year, we recommend you read our application guidance thoroughly before you submit your application.
- If I fail my application, can I get feedback and apply again?
Although we cannot provide written feedback on each application, we would recommend that you speak to your NPQ recruiter (your Teach First contact for your previous application) for additional support before submitting a new application for a future year.
- How do I register on GOV.UK for a National Professional Qualification (NPQ)?
Everyone completing a National Professional Qualification will need to register on GOV.UK. If you’re applying for a Teach First NPQ, we suggest you register on GOV.UK at the same time as completing an application with us or the relevant Delivery Partner (if your school is affiliated with one of the teaching school hubs or multi-academy trusts working with us to deliver our NPQs).